The Grade 4/5 trip on the Mohaka River is a full day Wilderness Trip. This is honestly one of New Zealand’s best whitewater runs. Technical rapids within amazing canyons – you need to be prepared to paddle strongly to make sure you keep the raft where it needs to be. For safety reasons, we need a minimum of 6 people to run the trip. If you don’t have 6, send us an email and we will start building a trip or glance through our online booking system to find current bookings. Recommended for those 16 and older.
The cost is $245 NZD
What to Expect
- Start times alter according to operating parameters and daylight saving times. Please
check the online booking system for start times
- Shuttles to and from river in our vans
- Grade 3-5 rapids
- Swimming opportunities
- Stunning 200m high canyons
- About 5 hours on the water (trip length will vary with water levels and group sizes)
- Trips generally last between 8.5 to 9 hours depending on flows and trip size
Current New Zealand laws tells us we must inform you of the risk involved.
You will be given full briefing before a trip and during the trip for your safety.
The 4/5 section of the Mohaka is a very challenging, beautiful and less traveled part of the river. It requires paddlers to be attentive and active in the rafts. This stretch is sure to make lasting memories for years to come.
Long Rapid is the first rapid of this section and a very spectacular place. During higher flows, the majority of the rocks are covered with water creating waves and hydraulics all around. This trip brings you into some of the most spectacular gorges on the North Island. The scale of the walls and rocks found on the river will make you feel very small.
Tricky sections require constant paddling to make it down the best channels and avoid rocks. Guests should be fit enough to exert themselves for several minutes without great strain, and be able to actively self rescue if involuntarily falling into the water. Low water changes the river and produces sieves, undercut rocks and more places to be entrapped. It is important to note that there are sections where walking is very difficult. Please ensure all your group are strong swimmers.
You need to bring:
- A light lunch
- Clothes to change into after trip
- Any medication you might need (Please tell us about medical conditions that may arise during the trip)
- River gear (helmet, life jacket, fleece, splash jacket, wetsuit and river shoes)
- Photos of your trip
- Waterproof containers for your lunch and medication
There needs to be a minimum of 6 people for this trip. If you don’t have that many people in your group, we organize open trips to bring small groups together. Visit our online booking system to check out available or building trips, or send us an email.
AdventureMark & Maritime NZ Certified
For more information, please contact us.